I had half a cantaloupe left after making the pops in the previous post, and after seeing this post on Such Fun Things, I knew what I was going to make. I haven't had these melon coolers probably since I was in grade school in Manila!
I don't know why these photos turned out really orange. The melon sticks look like carrots! Anyway, you're supposed to use a melon scraper to scrape out long strings from the cantaloupe, but it looks like you can only buy this scraper in Asia. I tried improvising by buying this since it looked like it would do the job, but the holes were too small and just mushed up the cantaloupe. I ended up slicing these strips instead.
|photo by garandee|
1. Scrape or slice cantaloupe into strings/strips and put into a pitcher.
2. Add lots of ice and ice water.
3. Add brown sugar simple syrup to taste.
4. Serve in a glass with a teaspoon.
5. Go sit outside with a magazine and enjoy the rest of your day.