Look!

10 June 2009

I know this may seem totally random, but yesterday I went to Valley Fabrics in Northampton to purchase fabric! Yes, fabric! I've been bitten by the sewing bug. I don't even own a sewing machine, so I don't know why I'm buying fabric. Valley Fabrics is actually closing their doors for good and having a liquidation sale, so I couldn't resist dropping by. Look at what I ended up with! The red gingham oilcloth is NOT part of my purchase. :)

stash

I have some ideas for what I want to make with each fabric, but nothing's set in stone. For now, the most important thing is to actually go buy a machine! It's so difficult to know what to buy. There's too much information! The first dealer I went to recommended the Janome DC2010 for $399, and upon further research, I found out that it's the exact same model as the Kenmore 19110 for $299 at Sears.

Is the $100 difference worth the free sewing lessons and repair included with the Janome? Another advantage of buying from a dealer is that they accept trade-ins for upgrades. Then again, I also kind of want to get one of the so-called "better" machines like a Bernina or a Pfaff. Or maybe I can get my mom to bring me a used industrial model from Manila when she goes to Vancouver for the wedding, haha. Somehow I don't really see her lugging a machine through customs! I don't even know if there are any extra machines in the workshop.

There's also a used Husqvarna Viking Prisma 950 for sale on Craigslist at $100 with everything included. Any advice from anyone out there?

In the meantime, back to fabric, here are my favorites from my purchase yesterday: Garden Friends by Jay McCarroll. I hadn't even started watching Project Runway when he won! I also don't kow why these appeal to me so much since I'm not really the "quirky" type. My tastes usually run towards classic or preppy or feminine.

Jay McCarroll

Hopefully, next time I talk about sewing, I'll have decided on a machine already. And in crochet news, I've decided to try crocheting my bridal garter. This should be interesting.

1 comments:

  1. Ooooo those fabrics look so pretty. I like the black one and the blue one (4th from the top) the best. Any idea what you're going to do with those yet?

    ReplyDelete

A LOOPY LIFE All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger