Poppy

28 January 2013

Untitled

We were in the Washington area in mid-January, so of course we took the chance to meet up with my cousins J and I.  When J found out we would be staying overnight with her, she immediately started planning where we would eat. I was glad to leave all the meal planning to her.

From their website, Poppy is inspired by "the "thali", a platter served to each guest holding a variety of small dishes". I was glad to see this since I've been getting a bit tired of really long tasting menus that take forever to finish, yet I still wanted to taste as many different dishes as possible.

Untitled

Hao and I were in the middle of recovering from pretty bad colds so I could hardly taste anything, but we were still eager to try the food. We started with a few appetizers. The Northwest Farmstead Cheeses with Olive Oil Crackers was ordered mainly so Harvey could munch on the crackers, but we all enjoyed tasting the various cheeses.

Untitled

The Eggplant  Fries with Sea Salt and Honey was surprisingly light and not oily.

Untitled

The Fried Mussels with Celery Seed Aioli was a hit with the others but all I could taste was warmth and cheese.

Untitled

I chose one of the 7-item thalis with a main course of Beecher's Cheddar and Apple Souffle with Cress and hazelnuts.  The 6 accompanying dishes were butternut, kumquat, and fennel soup; grilled radicchio, leek, and lentil salad; cauliflower with toasted garlic, horseradish, and currants; smoked tuscan kale with cider and almond; burdock pickle; and nigella-poppy naan.  To be fair, my cold prevented me from really tasting the food so I can't properly comment about this.

Untitled

Despite not being able to taste much, I still decided to join J and I in ordering a sweet thali for two.

Untitled

For the ice cream, we chose the ras el hanout sorbet with caramelized pieneapple and satsuma based on our server's recommendation.  This was yummy!  For the dessert portion, we chose the chocolate truffle torte with apricot, jasmine, and sesame.  Of the 4 other desserts included in the sweet thali, my favorites were the nutter-butter squares and the concord grape and rosemary pates de fruit.

I would certainly like to come back and try Poppy again when I don't have a cold.

Poppy
622 Broadway East
Seattle, WA 98102

206.324.1108





0 comments:

Post a Comment

A LOOPY LIFE All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger